Fitness testing is a way of gaining information about the health, fitness level related and skill related components of an athletes fitness. Testing can take place in a number of environments, with laboratory testing being the most accurate; however there is still a large range of tests that can be carried out, away from a lab, which provide a lot of useful information. Fitness testing is not only for athletes, applies to any person that wants to get in a better physical fitness.
Reasons for Fitness Testing
- To highlight the strengths and weakness that aid to create an efficient training program
- To assist in setting goals
- To evaluate a training program, to see if it is helping in achieving set goals
- To measure fitness levels following injury, illness or following the off season for athletes
- To determine health status
- To aid motivation